Amazon Deals

Friday, June 3, 2011

Don't want to coupon but could use help on groceries?

If you live in the PHX metro area.... I have some good news for you. United Food Bank has a program called Help Yourself.  You receive $40 worth of groceries, including meats, fresh fruit and vegetables for $16 cash or food stamp card.

They run this program every Friday between the hours of 8am and 2pm just next door to the DMV - Location: 358 East Javelina Avenue, Mesa. Directions: Off of Mesa Drive, between US 60 and Baseline - next to the Motor Vehicle Department.


They take cash only or food stamps, there are no restrictions or qualifications.

I can tell you that we ourselves have utilized this program. When I first was laid off from my job with American Express Centurion,  because of Reiley's health and John had just started in Real Estate we were struggling BAD... we had just moved to Maricopa, I had been in the hospital with Reiley for a couple of weeks and John had moved our family to Maricopa while I was in the hospital with Reiley... we had nothing in the house when I got home and John actually had a court appearance with his 'lovely' ex-wife... so he picked up a box and it helped us out greatly!



This was today's box... posted on their facebook page...
inside the box.... watermelon, sour cream, 10 lbs of potatoes, 3 bread items, 1 pastry item, bananas, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, tuna, tuna helper, canned fruit, canned peas, beefy rice, 5 lbs of chicken, 1 lb of bacon, hamburger, sausage, ground turkey and a 20-pack of hot dogs.

Now let me try and break this down in coupon terms... by that I mean what I would pay for this doing coupons... Bacon, I have bought some bacon recently for 50c a package, watermelon of $1.88, bunch of bananas go for about 59c a lb, bag of potato's about $2.99 for 10lbs, sour cream with coupon 99c... carrots, about $1, zucchini about $1, the cake, about $5, the chicken about $4.00, hamburger meat $2.49, ground sausage, $1.99, ground turkey no idea... lol... so lets say $1.99, the canned items I could probably get free or close to free, so we will say $2 total for the tuna, tuna helper, canned fruit and canned peas, beef rice and a 20 pack of hot dogs $3... and the bread items about $7.00 for all of them... so lets add up these amounts :) So I'm getting about $36 with coupons for this box... Of course, I'm totally guessing on costs but I think I'm pretty close.. even if I'm $5 - $10 off, that is still a good savings at $16 for the entire box!

Again, ANYONE can utilize this..... this also helps United Food Bank to help others with their other programs.

Also check out how you can help them out too... I know many of my friends coupon who don't live in Maricopa, who live in AZ, so this would be a good food bank for you to help donate to.

For those in Maricopa F.O.R. always needs help! Remember they have drop locations all over, including ED3 and Baskin-Robbins, so help them out!!  I mean we have more free tuna deals coming up... They are in need of tuna!! :)

If you don't live in Arizona, be sure to check your local resources with your food banks.. see if they have similar programs. Its a tough time for lots of people.. this is a way to Help Yourself :)

2 comments:

  1. That is great enough.I think so.But also coupon is helpful for us.John Coupon save helper

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - thanks for posting that. As I looked at the costs you would pay, I know that I would pay even more than that - I'm not an extreme couponer - I've never paid .50 for bacon (I think $2.99 on a Manager's Special is amazing). So, even with the great, great, great deals you get, it's still an amazing box. If only GAS weren't so darn expensive! :)

    ReplyDelete